Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Of Dreams and Goals

Why do people love to dream but hate making goals?

We would probably all agree, everyone has dreams. Whether it be having a long weekend vacation, or having a sprawling house or giving your parents the retirement that they deserve. Everyone has dreams. The question is, why isn't evryone doing something about it? Why isn't everyone setting goals so that they can actually start making their dreams a reality?

Dreams create a "fantasy" or a future that we all know exist in some distant future. Goals remove that 'distant future' and make it concrete by putting a definite or exact date as to where you would want the dream realized. Surprisingly, people are scared of making the distant future concrete. They are scared to fail. They are scared of being frustrated that the fear of pain is bigger than the gain of the sought after dream.

As my mentor was making me realize this, I remember the picture of a donkey pulling a carriage following a hanging carrot that he might never really have. Sadly, we are all contented that we can see the carrot without us knowing when will we ever get it.

I don't like to be the donkey. I like having control on my life. Yes, in some instances, goals are not met. I failed a couple of times. I made a lot of mistakes. And yes, it hurts. It hurts so bad that it is understandable to rest for a while. But all this time, I understand, I knew, that I would rather give it my all, I would rather try my best to get my dreams that live my life wishing, hoping, dreaming of a life that I might not be able to live.

Dreams are meant to be real and lived. Quitting is never part of the picture. Because honestly, I'd be more frustrated to have not done anything for me to succeed. I'd rather die trying out something, not live without ever doing something worthwhile.

Buenas dias!

No comments:

Post a Comment