Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Of Belief and Possibility

I am an engineer by profession. Back in gradeschool, I've always dreamed of becoming a journalist because I love to both read and write. But then, when I was in my final years in highschool, I considered having a career that would give me the success that I want as fast as I can. I thought the key was to get a degree that would give me a title on my name. I considered three courses: law, medicine or engineering. Both law and medicine were too long for me, I was not willing to wait that much. Engineering was the fastest, just 5 years. I finished it in four and a half with leadership and academic awards on my diploma. Took my board and got my license on the first take. I was so ready to be successful.
A few years after, I still could not find the success that I was looking for. I was in the verge of panic. I decided to leave the country to look for opportunities.
I met a lot of people, mostly Filipinos who have been working in that country for 5, 8, 10 years. Guess what? They were still working, haven't saved much and is still not successful. I was asking myself, what was happening? Didn't they tell me to just study hard, get good grades and find a safe, secure job? I realized, that advice was way outdated.
I didn't just look and tried other jobs, I was also open to putting up a business. There was a point where I was working at three jobs at the same time. I did a couple of businesses, but without the proper training and very little capital, I was like a headless chicken.
Three years ago, an opportunity came to my life. It was an answered prayer. It showed me a possibility that I can have. It renewed the flame of my dreams that were slowly losing its spark. I have always been a big dreamer. I think everyone of us have big dreams. Sadly though, reality seems to snatch them away from us that we tend to forget them as we try to juggle a lot of things in our life.
Why am I telling you all this? Because today, I learned a lot about possibilities.
My mentor is also an engineer. Before he went to business, he never thought that his life right now, was possible. These days, he travels the world with his family anytime he wants. With what he is earning, he can buy any luxury car at whim, in cash. And he has all the free time to spend with his beautiful wife and amazing son.
I met an undergraduate farmer, who does not know much English, not knowing anyone who is in business but succeeding still. Now, he is known all over the world and inspiring other people of the possibility that he was able to make into reality.
I met a caregiver, who used to work in the states for more than years. She lost her parents and sister in a span of three months but she was not able to come home. She had to work and chose instead to just send her family the money they need. Now, she is back with her family and happily enjoying their company, while earning more.
People tell me that it's impossible to earn a seven digit income. People tell me that opportunities are scarce. People tell me that having big dreams is difficult. I ask them why?
I worked for more than 8 years and it got me nowhere near my goals. I was actually happy but I realized that I could be happier. I met people who were working 20, 30 years and are still struggling. And then I wonder, why are people still believing that they can get to where they want to go with what they are currently doing?
They ask me back, why am I willing to risk it? Why do I have the courage to do something different? Why am I insanely confident that I can be successful?
Because I have seen how possible it is. I am not there yet, but the journey is so worth it. I am happy with everything that I am getting. I am thankful each and everyday for the opportunity of having Nu Skin in my life.


my look: white long sleeved blouse, black sleeveless top, black slacks
May you also be blessed with a possibility like mine. Buenas dias.

No comments:

Post a Comment